Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Omega-3


After learning about omega-3 in my nutrition class I decided to go out and get supplements....

I ended up choosing a gummy variety because I was weirded out by the listings of what fish oils were in the pills, and I've heard they give you fishy breath.

I realize the gummies have the same fish oils, but they're masked with sugar and flavoring.

If I like the results of the omega-3, I'll probably switch to the pills for the lack of sugar - but in the mean time, the gummies are only ten calories each and I think the benefits will outweigh the calories.

Benefits of Omega-3
  • Heart - By helping reduce the risk of arrhythmias and sudden death by a heart attack.
  • Brain - Better brain function though more efficient neurotransmitters leading to improved concentration, memory, less likelihood of depression and reduced risk of ADHD in children.
  • Cholesterol & Triglycerides - By lowering triglycerides and help balancing your cholesterol.
  • Joints & Arthritis - Better joint function from reduced inflammation and a reduction in pain.
  • Skin & Beauty - Improves the health and appearance of your skin, helps keep nails strong, as well as your hair healthy and shiny.
  • Immune System & Cancer - A stronger immune system, proven to be beneficial for the body's immune function, lowered risk of breast and prostate cancer.
  • Vision - Improved focus, colour, perception and clarity of vision.
  • Digestive System - By improving intestinal health and reducing inflammation assisting those with IBS or Crohn's Disease.
  • Allergies - Omega-3 fatty acid intake by mothers during pregnancy may protect babies against the development of allergies. It may help people with existing allergies.
  • Diabetes - Fish oil enhances insulin secretion from beta cells in the pancreas, regulating blood sugar levels. DHA plays a protective role in diabetic neuropathy in all forms of diabetes.

The primary reason I'm using them is because I've read they do wonders for acne. But the strong hair and nails aspect is also something I could really use.

The allergies in mothers aspect is fascinating too. So many kids have allergies, and I can see how a deficiency in Omega-3 could be related to that fact, because more and more mothers are afraid to eat fish during pregnancy because of mercury content. Pure speculation, but it just makes sense to me.

:] I'll let you know in the next couple weeks how I like them.

2 comments:

  1. Very helpful post. Thanks for you speculation. Please let us know if you notice any benefits as you continue taking Omega-3! I've always INTENDED to start taking it one of these days, but I already take so many other pills that I just get tired of swallowing crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm actually keen to go get some fish oil now! xx

    ReplyDelete